Thursday, July 15, 2010

Serious Mom Moment

I dashed to Target all by myself this morning (woohoo!!) to grab a couple things, one of which was a CD player... I'm not totally sold on the ipod dock, which we've had since we got married. There's something I still like about having the actual CD. Anyway, I digress. We've wanted to get a CD player for the boys' room for a long time, so today was the day. I got back in the car after finding having great success in Target and started driving home. The only approved radio stations in the car are NPR (90.7 for all you locals) and occasionally ESPN (101.1) if something interesting is happening in sports or of course if it's football season. I feel like I'm constantly reminding Josh that NPR is really the only approved station, lest he radio surf and settle on some elevator music or something. But when I left Target it was 10:44, the last part of the 2nd half of the Diane Rehm show. I love Diane Rehm, but I usually only love her from 9:00-10:00. (This is an aside... I tell time by what show is on NPR. Neil Conan? Oh, it must be between 1 and 3. The last part of Morning Edition? Oh, it's almost 9. Gotta love having that adult voice talking to me throughout the day.) Anyway, as I was saying, Diane usually talks about some book in the second hour that I'm not interested in, usually fiction. All that by way of setup for this story. Yeesh. So I was driving and since there was nothing that I wanted to hear on the only truly approved radio station, I let whatever was in the CD player play. Turns out it was Cookie Monster singing "C Is For Cookie." Somewhere in my subconscious I just sang along with Cookie Monster. Only after the song finished did I realize there were definitely no kids in the car and I guess I just listened to that song for me. But not only did I listen... I liked it. Sigh.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

(1) I love that you tell time by NPR.

(2) I love that you said "...some book...I'm not interested in, usually fiction." I'll add the next sentence: "If, however, she were talking about the most depressing nonfiction book in the history of mankind, I would love it I'm sure."

(3) I have done the same thing, but the song was "I don't want to live on the moon" sung by Ernie.