Friday, January 4, 2008

Why I Won't Vote for Mike Huckabee: by J. Desch

I'm a registered republican. I voted for "W" in the last election, but I will not be voting for Mike Huckabee as the next president of these United States if he somehow were to win the republican nomination. When I first heard about Huckabee, I got excited. Ordained Baptist minister, conservative, stands by his convictions, etc. I watched him defend his views of creationism on youtube. Finally, I thought, a candidate Christians can get excited about. I don't think that anymore. A majority of the republicans in Iowa might think he's the man, but I don't . . . And I'm a Christian. Here's why I won't vote for Huckabee:
1) He's exactly like every other politician I know about these days. He is a morally conservative (he better be as an ordained Baptist minister!) but he is fiscally loose. Spending went way up in Arkansas while he was governor. He doesn't offer a fresh perspective on anything really. He pretty much stands for the exact same things "W" stands for, and sounds as if he would lead the nation exactly as "W" has. I'm not here to attack "W", but I will say that I don't think the country needs another 4 and/or 8 years of government just like we have had the last 8 years.
2) He has never won a "real" election as a non-incumbent. "What do you mean?", you are thinking. Simply this, in 1992 Huckabee became Lieutenant Governor in Arkansas in a special election when the man who was elected Lieutenant Governor becaeme governor because Bill Clinton became president. Huckabee then won reelection as L. Gov, but then became the Governor when the then Governor of Arkansas resigned amid scandel. He then won reelection two times as Governor. Again I maintain, this man has never won an election in which he wasn't already the incumbent except the special election for L. Gov in 1992, which only happened because Bill Clinton was elected. Huckabee was also defeated for the United States senate in the early 90s. Do you really think this man can win the Presidency of the U.S., when he will not be running as the incumbent or in a special election?
3) His last name is "Huckabee", which sounds incredibly redneck to me. I'm from the south, and proud of it, but I don't know if I want world leaders trying to pronounce "Huckabee." Betsy agrees with me here.
4) As Governor, he pressured a parole board to release a convicted rapist, apparently to get at Bill Clinton. This man then went and raped and murdered a woman in Missouri. That makes me so mad.
5) I would rather have him as my pastor than my president. Enough said. That's just my opinion.

Howie pictures are coming, so hold your horses!

1 comment:

matthew gillikin said...

who you gonna vote for then? i think huckabee is not that much like other politicians, mainly cause i'd like to hang out with him.