Monday, February 4, 2008

Howie, Dreams, and Sweet Vindication

We had a wonderful time this past week with my mom and sister Emily and little nephew John! Howie and John had a good time together- even held hands a couple of times! It was a hoot to see them interact just a little bit more than they did over Christmas. We REALLY enjoyed being together!







This picture says everything about Howie and butternut squash. No explanation needed.
As you can imagine, Josh and I had been pretty excited and/or disgusted about the Super Bowl over the past week. Once Peyton and company were out, the Super Bowl lost all of its joy for us. I only maintained a shred of hope that somehow the Patriots would meet their final downfall. Even though Peyton couldn't win, at least Tom Brady could lose. I truly dreading hearing about the 2007 Patriots for the rest of my life, hailed as the "team that succeeded in the pursuit of perfection." The Giants were our last hope. On Eli Manning's shoulders rested the weight of freeing us from this Tom Brady worship that has persisted all season. (Hey, at least he's Peyton's brother.)

We had a youth Super Bowl party, and although there were a couple of Patriots fans, I don't think any of them really cared. They were there for the commercials and the halftime show (TOM PETTY- enough for a post in and of itself). I think everyone was surprised that it was only 7-3 at halftime. Not the offensive showdown that some people predicted. I had already thrown myself on the floor a half dozen times out of sheer exhilaration over the Giants' defense. (I think at this point most of the youth were disturbed- I guess they didn't know that I'm a real fan.) Let's just fast-forward to the 4th quarter, when everything went down. We were in the process of packing up to leave when the Giants scored the first touchdown, which was amazing. Then we heard the Patriots' march down the field in the car on the way home, and I admit that I thought it was all over. The Patriots have done this so many times- they give you a shred of hope that they're finally going to lose, and then they finally pull it together right when they need to to shatter your hopes and score that touchdown that makes you cringe. Right after the Patriots scored we got home and watched the Giants' drive back down the field!!!!! Pretty much at the time when Eli Manning somehow got out of that heap of Patriots trying to sack him to throw to that Giants guy who caught the ball on his head was when Josh and I lost it!!!! Wow, I couldn't believe it. The dominance of the Patriots was finally over. We had been waiting for so long for someone to finally beat them, and then it happened. I have to admit that I did feel a little sorry for Tom Brady as he walked off the field with his head down. But it passed.

Anyway, just to let you know how much Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have gotten in my head... a couple of pictures to illustrate... let me tell you about this crazy dream I had . . .


Here's my dream. I was back at Covenant College in the Great Hall, eating dinner or something. It turned out it was someone's birthday, and there were a lot of people lined up to sing a special song for the birthday person. One kid from our youth group came up to the birthday person and did this dorky little dance, and everyone booed. I felt bad for the kid. Then next was the strangest thing I've ever dreamed. Here comes Bill Belichick in Howie's infant swing, which had been attached to a zip line somehow. Bill came swinging down the zip line in Howie's swing, belting out a special song for the birthday person. I remember thinking it was bizarre because Bill rarely smiles, much less busts out in song. Next thing I know, I saw Tom Brady walking around the Great Hall in a warm-up suit. He was a student living in Maclellan Hall, and everyone was whispering about how he was Tom Brady. Those are probably two of the most unlikely people to ever visit Covenant College, but anything is possible in your dreams!! At least now my tortured head can lay itself to rest at night, knowing that the Patriots have been defeated.

Here is a football dream that Josh had, as told by Josh. Betsy and I were playing golf in this golf tournament and Peyton Manning was playing in it as well. Somehow, the golf course was right next to the Indy Colts football stadium, so Peyton could go right from football practice and play golf. In my dream Peyton and his wife were friends with me and Betsy. After we had played a little golf, Peyton told us he wanted to show us these caves that he owned right next to the golf course. We went exploring in these huge cavernous caves which Peyton somehow owned. He was very proud of his caves. The last thing I remember in my dream before I woke up was saying to Peyton, "Wow, you've got it all! You've got your stadium, your golf course and your caves all in one place, so that you never have to leave." The end.


Happy Monday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Betsy that was a CRAZY dream girl. Georgie's got the same baby swing, so I hope that dream is not catchy. Howie looks soooo much like you!

Unknown said...

wow, some things never change. you guys might want to have your house checked for gas leaks or something - those are CRAZY dreams!!! hahah. BETS, i love you :) i really do. as much as any shahada selah could! side note: remember when we made that ridiculous video for barb schreur's class? what was that about again? who was the animal?