Friday, February 15, 2008

I Can't Believe I'm Writing This . . . But Maybe Tom Brady Isn't So Bad

This is going to be a shock to our regular blog readers, but in the last month or so my opinion of Tom Brady has begun to change. Now hold on, I'm not saying he is my favorite NFL player or anything like that, but I'm just finding it harder and harder to loath Tom like I do Bill Bilichick. Why? Well it started when I faced the fact that Tom always says the the right thing when he is interviewed before or after a game. He never allows himself to say something about the other team that would tick off fans. He is like Roger Federer. Have you ever seen Federer get interviewed before a match. He can the playing the number #798 player in the world, and the greatest tennis player in the world will smile and say, "I think its going to be a tough match, I need to stay focused." I bet anything he is thinking, "I'm the number one ranked player in the world. I'm going to kill this 18 year old who barely made it to the pro circuit." But he never lets onto that. Then I heard something that shocked me. Apparently Tom is good friends with Peyton Manning, who is me and Betsy's favorite player. I was like, "What?!" Now onto the real reason my opinion of Tom has changed. I watched an interview with him on 60 minutes and I was amazed at how down-to-earth he seems. He honestly doesn't seem full of himself, like so many athletes. He really seems grateful of where he is and aware of his past. When he was asked why he signed for less money to stay with the Patriots than sign with another team he chuckled and said, "I remember being in college and making baked potatoes for dinner in my dorm room. I'm making more money than I ever thought I would." You get a sense that Tom is almost as amazed as everyone else about his to-good-to-be-true life, which is refreshing. He doesn't act like "I always knew this was going to happen and I deserve it." Most importantly, he admitted that while he has everything in life (fame, money, good looks and a supermodel girlfriend) he wonders if there is a greater purpose in life. There is, Tom, its salvation in Jesus' name! When asked if he knew what this higher purpose was, he said, "I wish I knew." Tom is surprisingly introspective about life for a mega-superstar athlete. He is not a Christian, so of course I don't agree with how he is living his life, but I have to respect him a little for being willing to wonder if there is something more out there than all that he has. So there you have it. I now have a begrudging respect for Tom. I have never doubted that he is a great quarterback (not as good as Peyton, of course). I hope Tom Brady finds the truth, for the truth will set him free.

No comments: