Thursday, October 30, 2008

Howie & His Ear Infection

A hug for Dad
Searching for a tomato somewhere in the jungle of vines
A man with his dog, or the neighbor's dog, which is almost as good

This has been a rough last few days for Howie, who has fallen prey to an ear infection. He felt pretty feverish Monday afternoon, but seemed to feel better by bedtime. Later on I heard him moaning in his crib and went to check on him- he was acting kind of weird and breathing funny, so I picked him up and he promptly threw up on me. Oh, one of the greatest joys of motherhood. I took him into the bathroom and the poor little boy threw up some more. I felt so bad for him- he was just sobbing and clearly feeling terrible. Of course this would happen when Josh was at an evening class, so I was flying solo. I had to change his clothes, change my clothes, take his temperature, give him some medicine, gather the laundry, etc. It was pretty bad. Then obviously the clean-up, but we won't go there. Suffice it to say that I had a flash-back to our rotavirus runaround last May, which was horribly, horribly ugly.
Since then, he's doing a little bit better, but definitely hasn't been himself this week. I'm hoping that today he'll turn the corner. The last couple of days have been beautiful in St Louis- wouldn't you know it would be the 2 days out of the year that we're trapped in the house. One bright spot from yesterday was that Howie got to see Tommy, our neighbor Aaron's dog. Howie loves Tommy so much. In fact, I think that "dog" was one of his first words, largely due to Tommy's influence in his life. Howie's just begun to pet Tommy, which is always funny to see.
Hopefully next time I post our house will be infection free!

2 comments:

Beth and Eric said...

Hi Betsy, Beth Bonk here. Your Aunt Martha insisted I check out your blog a while back so I can see the extreme cuteness of Howie for myself. :) I love looking at the pictures and videos you post.

I was just reading back in your September posts and wanted to say congratulations and keep up the good work on the dish washing strategy!

That is something I've always struggled with, and now with a baby in the house it's even worse. But boy when they pile up it makes me crazy!! I want to run screaming from the house and pray to God for a dishwashing fairy to take care of it while I'm gone.

So you have inspired me to do my best to get them done every night no matter what. :) I know I'll be happier in the morning...and Eric will really appreciate it too.

Hope Howie's ear is getting better!

Springer and Laura Susan said...

Praying for a speedy recovery for our little friend!

Love, The Cains