We're adjusting to life in New Jersey and finding ourselves liking it more and more, but one thing that isn't improving is how much we miss our family and friends. In fact the longer we're here the more reality sets in that we are very far from our families and many of our friends and that's not going to change any time soon. (Although of course we are deeply enjoying getting to know our new church family.) But one thing we love about New Jersey is the fact that we can take a short bus ride into NYC! Josh is blessed with Thursdays off and over the last few weeks he has given me the day off to go wherever the wind takes me, and so I've ventured into NYC on my own... that has been a sheer delight. The first time I went I decided on the advice of a gal from church to walk as far down 5th Ave as I could, so I walked from about 50th St all the way down to 18th or 17th when I was totally pooped and still had to return to catch my bus on 42nd St. So walking downtown from the bus station in Midtown is not possible for me, I discovered!! Last Thursday I figured out how to board the subway from the Port Authority where my bus arrives and rode downtown to the 9-11 Memorial. All along the way there were signs that said you have to have an advance visitor's pass to enter the memorial, but I thought I would just walk down to the entrance to see if I could see in through a crack in the fence. When I got there one of the employees asked me if I wanted to go in, but I told her I didn't have a pass and thought that would be that. She said it was a light visitor traffic day and they were giving passes to the public!! So I got to go in!! After passing through airport-like security I entered and was completely amazed. It's impossible to understand the scale of these huge pools through a photo. It was pretty awesome. And the towers still under construction were pretty awesome too. So after that I went to an espresso bar, drank a mocha, and knitted for a couple hours. All in all I'd say it was a pretty nice day.

1 World Trade Center... when completed it will be the tallest building in North America at
1,776 feet!!

South reflecting pool

North reflecting pool

While downtown I happened by Zuccotti Park and got my Occupy Wall Street on... jk actually it was totally empty.

aforementioned mocha

aforementioned knitting
1 comment:
Way to go, Bets! I'm so glad you have a hubby who recognizes the need for the momma to get out of the house and have some experiences of her own!
I wish I could explore NYC with you!!!
Miss you, BFF!
Post a Comment