Friday, August 15, 2008

A Few Comments

First of all, as we speak Howie is currently ruining our second date night attempt in a row. We had lined up trusty babysitters a couple of weeks ago (Lis and Noel, you know who you are) and got all excited, only to discover that Howie had a raging fever from teething and was miserable. Scratch first attempt. You can't leave your baby at home when things aren't quite right. Take two... tonight we had planned to leave again, lined up another set of trusty babysitters (we were going to put Howie to bed since he normally goes so early and then leave), and what happens? Howie won't go to sleep. If you've been around him at nighttime lately, you know that he's usually a sleeping champ, but of course he won't go to sleep tonight because he has that child's 6th sense that Mom and Dad are trying to leave to get away from him for a while. He keeps horsing around and whining, and I keep having the lingering thought that maybe he's hungry (see below), so I guess the babysitters are currently on hold until we cease to hear things from his room. It could be that we'll be on hold for so long that we'll scratch the second attempt- I hope not.

Here's another thing that happened tonight. For some reason we had a hard time scraping together stuff for Howie to eat for dinner. We didn't cook anything since we were supposed to be at a restaurant right now, so I fed Howie some yogurt, but he didn't seem interested in the other things we tried to give him- chicken, tomatoes, toast, crackers, cheese, etc. Finally I decided to make him a grilled cheese sandwich, but since we have no bread, I went to my neighbor's house to borrow 2 pieces of bread. I slapped it on the grill pan with some cheese and started singing a stupid song and dancing with the spatula to entertain him while it was cooking because he was completely unimpressed with the menu that was offered him and was crying. Finally the stupid sandwich was done and I scooped it off the grill pan with the spatula to let it cool, and lo and behold, I dropped the sandwich into a random pot sitting on the counter next to the stove. The problem was that the pot had water in it. I had left it soaking from cooking rice last night. So there I watched that sandwich sink under the surface with the same sinking feeling inside. I ruined a tasty grilled cheese sandwich in a freak accident. I quickly fished it out and tried to put it back on the grill pan even though the bread was so wet that I could have wrung it out... obviously that was a dumb idea. So Howie didn't get his sandwich. Instead we declared him done and said that dinner was over. Maybe that's part of why date night is swirling down the drain- Howie's still mad about that sandwich.

I guess our date nights are just jinxed. There's always take-out.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

hey betsy - our date night was a bit foiled last night, too. see our blog for details ... theleathermans.blogspot.com

hope you can go out sometime soon!

lisa