We gave him some green beans to eat, and to no one's surprise, both of our boys are resistant to eating fruits and veggies, with few exceptions. Howie is also very particular about everything in his life down to the condition of his food.
Me: Howie, eat your green beans.
Howie: I can't eat these. They're missing their bodies.
When put like that I could see that some of them were somewhat squashed and malformed... wouldn't be a deterrent to most, but to Howie, the shape and appearance of your food matters, not just the flavor. Earlier that day he refused to eat some pineapple chunks because they "had holes in them."
Tonight I made pasta with bolognese sauce- this was my first attempt back in the saddle for cooking dinner, and I'd say it went fairly well. Josh and I have reflected on my complete lack of thoughtful cooking and food planning since April, when we started packing up our apartment in St Louis in preparation of moving. Our church has been so gracious to bring us many meals since we moved and Wren was born, but that's all done with now. Over these past months the kids have gotten far too comfortable with pizza, chicken strips, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc... it was time to bring that to a screeching halt and try to preserve their teeth and arteries in their tender age. Anyway I actually minced garlic today and did something more than popping a frozen pizza in the oven, and it felt good. Howie commented on how much he liked his dinner but then decided that he wanted to sit in Josh's lap and eat the spaghetti on his plate.
Josh: Howie, why don't you want to eat your spaghetti?
Howie: I just like yours. It listens to me.
Never knew that you need your food to turn a listening ear to you. And what exactly he was saying to it I don't know. But he makes us laugh a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment