Monday, October 22, 2007

The Best Thing About Monday

Actually, this is one of the ONLY good things about Monday, the other good thing being that it's Josh's day off... and that is Monday Night Football!! Tonight the Colts are playing, and they happen to be our very favorite team. This has been a rough NFL weekend for Josh and me because we can't stand Tom Brady, as we've said before, and everyone is currently worshiping at his altar for the number of touchdown passes he's already thrown this year. Give me a break. Yeah, so he can throw touchdown passes. That doesn't change the fact that the New England Patriots is still Satan's team.

We are beginning to understand why people say you don't sleep after you have a baby. Howie was once a great sleeper... sleeping 6 or 7 hours, waking up to be fed, and sleeping another 2 or 3... I thought we had avoided the whole being up the whole night with your baby thing. When people would ask how well he was sleeping, I would usually say "oh, you know..." and then move the conversation to something else because I didn't want them to feel bad about their kids since their kids' sleeping habits obviously couldn't hold a candle to Howie's, and I also wanted to pretend like I was participating in the rite of passage for parents that is staying up all night with your child. But in reality I was basically sleeping like normal. Oh, how things have changed. Somehow our wonderful sleeper has fallen into some alarmingly normal baby patterns, i.e., waking up all the time. To the tune of 8 TIMES this past Thursday. Getting up for the 6th time in one night to replace a fallen out pacifier or see why Howie is making squawking noises in his crib is rough, let me tell you. The 7th and 8th times are even worse. This is pretty much how i goes. Wake up to squawking baby. Stumble into kitchen where baby's crib is, being careful to avoid any land mine piles on the floor since it's dark. Replace paci and/or comfort in whatever way needed. Stumble back into bed. Get comfortable again. Then repeat 5 minutes later, seemingly just seconds after falling asleep. Oh, well. Josh and I have learned to pray a lot while getting up all those times. But then I go to Howie's crib and see those huge eyes looking up at me... that makes even getting out of bed for the 8th time seem OK somehow. Hopefully he'll start sleeping better, but until then, we're officially in the ranks of un-sleeping parents.

No comments: