Saturday, January 28, 2012

Words I Hate, & A Surprising Twist

There are many words that I hate. Hate to say, hate to hear. I hate some of them because of how they sound, and others because of what they remind me of. Here are some that I can think of off the top of my head, although there are many others.

1. Nuts. I HATE this word. I also do not care for the food by that name. If I have to refer to this item, I choose to call them specials. And I do NOT eat them.
2. Portion. Nastiest sounding word ever.
3. Moist. Just picture someone saying this as they bite into a fried chicken leg, chin glistening with grease.
4. Loaf. Say this word slowly, and you'll see why it's so awful. It just sounds terrible.
5. Lump. Josh and I both agree. This is disgusting.

Now for the Surprising Twist:

Josh and I bought a Nook.

Why is this surprising, you may ask? I hate the word "nook." It makes me shiver to say. Why, oh why, would you name your tablet (another shiver-inducing word) Nook? Barnes and Noble, what were you possibly thinking? Let's look at the competition in this hot market. Amazon: Kindle Fire. Very nice name. Not offensive in the least. Apple: iPad. Though I'm not crazy about this name, it's not that bad. I think they could have thought of something better, but it's not horrible. But the NOOK??? So you may ask why we picked it, and that would be an excellent question. It came down to economics. A family from church gave us a Barnes and Noble gift card, so the Nook would be the wise choice. But if I were a tablet namer, I would pick something both pleasant to say and mildly descriptive of the product. How about the Portal? The Portal to the internet? Or how about the Time Waster? Haha, just a joke. Anyway, I find that I have a hard time saying that I own a NOOK. I think I'll just change the name to Hook for my own purposes. Their symbol is a lowercase n, so if you just give the n an extra stick on top you have a lowercase h. Also I've always scoffed at the tablet craze since it was unclear to me what they did that was so important, but now I have one. I know my sister Marnie will find this particularly hard to believe. Open mouth, insert slice of humble pie.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

jealous! I have an original nook reader, but would love the tablet. (BTW, I think iPad is worse. I always think "Type a happy period.")

Suzanne said...

Betsy, you are hilarious :) Does this mean there will be no library fines in your future?!?! This could be LIFE CHANGING, you realize!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Bets...what have you done??? :) M

The Morginskys said...

um, yall are gonna be broke in like two weeks!!! seriously, we had to make a budget for buying books on the kindle. its just so easy its dangerous!!! and so a question for you that i wish i could ask in person...what do you call josh's "specials" :)

Suzanne said...

Sharon: BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!