
I just finished this book yesterday, and it was truly amazing. It was written by a man from southern Sudan who fled his home to escape the attacks of the northern Sudanese government and lived for several years in refugee camps in Ethiopia and Kenya before immigrating to the US. The thing that amazed me about this man was his faith in the Lord. This is not a book that is setting out to be Christian, but he talks about his undying faith in God through all of the difficulties in his life... all the bloodshed, loss of his family, extreme hunger and thirst, real poverty, and so many other things that would reduce me to nothing. I think any middle-class American can really learn from people like John because we're so comfortable. We have beautiful lives with so many things going for us, and yet I so often choose to complain about such minor things and doubt the Lord's goodness when confronted with the little challenges of every day life. I think reading books like this has reminded me that I have MUCH to be thankful for and also have an obligation as a Christian to remember those in poverty, as Jesus said, and live accordingly. It's so easy to forget about those who are hurting in our world in the rhythm of our everyday lives, but reading about people with experiences such as these has been a reminder to strive to live with the priorities of Christ.
War Child was another one of my favorites- this one told a horrific story about this man's experience as a child soldier fighting in the same war in Sudan and his painful journey out of that life. It was so sobering to read about how this man's life unfolded. I realized yet again how blessed I am, how blessed Howie is to live in a land where he is free to grow up in peace with plenty of food to eat, clean water to drink, good healthcare, the freedom to play and be a child, family who loves him, and a future that will Lord willing include a good education. Both of these books really served to broaden my view of the world and also give me more reason to thank the Lord for the many blessings of my life. Also, we as Christians must fight to see justice for the oppressed!! May we be moved to act on the behalf of those who need us!
No comments:
Post a Comment