Friday, September 23, 2011

Random Reflections

1. Josh and I are official New Jerseyians, at least in the eyes of the state of NJ. We forked over our cash and did our time at the driver's license office this morning and walked away with NJ driver's licenses, NJ car titles, and NJ license plates. We were so grateful to a lovely new friend from church who took care of the boys while we slogged out on the much-dreaded errand. When we left the boys were stuffing their faces with donuts and we were carrying every piece of paper we could think of that they could ask for, lest we would return without having completed the dreadful task of transferring everything. We arrived at the office to a healthy line although we got there only 5 minutes after it opened. Thankfully it moved fairly quickly, and there was a general sense of alarm when the workers saw my state of advanced pregnancy (like I would seriously deliver in their office??? But hey, it cut our waiting time, so I'm grateful!!), so we were whisked away to the front of the line. We filled out a bajillion forms and presented them to the bureaucrat on duty, who promptly told me that I had to have a piece of mail with my name and our new address on it. I assumed since we had a few bills with Josh's name on them and our address and our marriage license that would be enough, but it was not to be. All of the sudden our kind friend babysitting and our 30 minute drive were looking to be all for naught, since we wouldn't be able to register our cars either if I didn't have a drivers license number. Josh continued on and I went out to his car, praying that there would be something random in there with my name and our address on it. I found an envelope addressed to us from our realtor- not official mail exactly, but hey, what did I have to lose? When I came back I met a lady at the door who was directing people where to go, and she looked at my proof of address (which was probably technically inadequate), my pathetic overall appearance, and my advanced state of pregnancy, and she acccepted it!! I was sooooo thrilled that we wouldn't have to find time to come back later! Not only did she authorize my letter but she also again whisked me to the front of the line, circumventing many, many people. (Who knew pregnancy got you so much??) I continued to hold my breath until I was holding my new license lest someone should find me unprepared afterall, but it didn't happen! I am so thankful that those errands are done!

2. We enjoyed a wonderful few days with Bible Bill last weekend! It was so much fun to have him as our first official visitor in New Jersey! Nana was unable to accompany him since she's waiting on a knee replacement, so we'll look forward to her coming next time! The boys were thrilled to have BB for a few days. They so enjoyed pushing him down the tube slide at the park, eating at Bobby's Burger Palace together, and setting up Playmobil men battles.

3. I made a French-Style Pot-Roasted Pork Loin last night from Cook's Illustrated and it was really something. You're supposed to double butterfly the roast so it opens like a business letter... who can figure out how to do that?? I did it wrong of course so I only had one butterfly, into which I rubbed butter, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, and herbes de provence. Tied it up with twine, added it to a pot of sauteed apples and onions and some white wine, and threw it in the oven. Then I made a note to myself that this is not exactly a great weeknight dinner. In the end we didn't even eat it!! It took much longer to cook through than I was anticipating since it was a thick roast, so it's sitting in the fridge for tonight. I had never made a pork roast but I have such good memories of eating delicious pork roast made by my grandma at their house for family celebrations. I was trying to recreate that for my family. I think I failed somewhat since it wasn't ready on time and it didn't really taste like hers (although it tastes amazing), but I'll keep trying.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I can hear you talking in this post and it makes me miss you soooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!! (The long line of o's and !!!!!'s are doing double duty: to make my point known and to honor you and your love of o's and !!!'s :))