Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Before & After



I don't know about ya'll, but I always love before and after shots. Especially of house renovations or makeovers. How about this before and after? The first one was taken in the first trimester at the end of December, and this last one was taken on June 1st. Whoah!! Before not much of a bump, after it looks like I swallowed a whale. I will be soooo excited to get back into my normal clothes and be able to sit close to the table, actually stand next to the sink instead of really leaning over it to compensate for the huge bump, be able to get out of bed without herculean exertion, tie my shoes without all of the fluid migrating to my ankles/cankles and making them look like you could pop them like a balloon, etc. You get the point.

Let me give you an update on the music we've been obsessing over as of late. Seeing as we're getting ready for the birth of our child, we've been preparing some "labor mix-y-poos" to enliven the hospital room. We want our labor nurses and doctor to have a blast in our room, which is destined to be the party room if we have anything to say about it. Yeah, labor is a really tough thing, so if you can make it a party, why not do it? So to that end we've compiled a few CDs to keep the party (and the contractions) moving. Our latest acquisitions from i-tunes include the following 80s classics: Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" and "Rock With You," Madonna's "Vogue" and "Holiday," and Janet Jackson's "Escapade." And of course we included our old favorites, such as "I've Had the Time of My Life," Cher's "Loving on a Rooftop" and "Still In Love With You," Lionel Ritchie's "All Night Long," (no playlist is complete without this classic) Jamiroquai's "Canned Heat," and many others. So if you've got nothing better to do and you're looking for a party, come on down to Augusta, GA, and come to the hospital with us. We're hoping to model our labor and birth experience after Personal Boogie Time (those of you who are Covenant College grads know exactly what I'm talking about here).

I'm currently enjoying a nice hot cup of Paul Newman's Almond Biscotti Coffee, and it is phenomenal. We haven't gotten this kind of coffee since sometime last summer, and I remember thinking that it should have tasted better with a name like that, but since then I've fallen more and more in love with coffee, and now it tastes like a piece of a heavenly cookie. It's just the right temperature- hot, but not scalding. Yum.

Well, speaking as a person two days into her retirement, let me tell you that retirement is a strange but good thing. I really miss my co-workers and I keep thinking about what I would be doing were I at my job right now. But this brief holiday is just a transition into a different type of work. Less faxing, more laundry. Fewer phone calls, more diaper changing. Less payment taking, more baby feeding. Hopefully this holiday will be VERY brief... Josh and I are both praying every day and every night that Baby Desch will make his/her decision to enter the world!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE that you are making mix-y poos for labor! i am praying every day for baby desch (and you guys, too). much, much love.

Anonymous said...

I also love the idea of mixes, however...

One caution: just make sure that you don't put anything on there that you would really be sad if every time you heard it again you'd think about being in labor. Strong and vivid experiences tend to create strong associations with environmental factors (for example, every time I hear Ben Folds' "Landed" I think of flying across the Pacific ocean to a foreign land).

Just wouldn't want you to have memories of intense pain or discomfort anytime you heard "Billie Jean".

Springer and Laura Susan said...

You guys are hilarious! I hope those doctors and nurses have a blast in your room too! We are praying for you, and we can't wait for Baby Desch's arrival!
We love you and miss you!!!