This afternoon I was reading a Veggie Tales book to the kids about lying- I'm not crazy about this book because I think the author's theology of confession and repentance is pretty pathetic. One of the veggies breaks a plate and lies to his father about who did it. In the end of the book he finally admits that he lied, and his dad says basically, "it's ok- just don't do it again." No reference to our need for real confession and repentance. So it's been my habit through these years of reading aloud to just change whatever I don't like and insert what I do like. In my new version today the veggie told his dad he was sorry for lying and his dad said some nurturing words that I can't remember about how he forgave him and he was glad his son was convicted by the Holy Spirit and led to genuine repentance and how we find forgiveness in Christ... I don't know what I said. I say something different every time I read that book, and no one has ever noticed before. Howie looked up at me with a smile on his face and said, "You just made that up. It doesn't say that." I was shocked. He caught me. But hopefully he absorbed some good truth about repentance and forgiveness through Christ on the many times that I've read and edited that book before today. I guess I have to be more clever and less obvious with my editorial remarks from now on.
P.S.- we just put the boys to bed a bit ago and Justice is laying in his bed singing Andrae Crouch's song "To God Be the Glory" at the top of his lungs. Somehow Howie has already managed to fall asleep despite the singing, even though they share a bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment