Thursday, September 13, 2012

Redecorating in Progress

We just recently redecorated our living and dining rooms.  We are renting our current house and I can't say that I'm a fan of the paint colors that were chosen by the owners- the house already has a serious lack of natural light and then on top of that the walls are very dark... which makes the rooms look even darker.  So we have a serious lighting issue.  Since we're not sure how long we'll be in this house (although def. until next summer), we don't necessarily feel like painting, especially since our color options that would be allowable by our landlord are very limited.  When we first moved we had several big book cases in the living room (the same ones from our St Louis apartment) that took up an entire wall in the living room.  We realized upon greater consideration and more than a year of living in the house that those needed to go.  They made the already dark room look even darker and smaller.  So we got those out and moved a loveseat downstairs as we had gotten a new ocean liner sectional couch.  Wow, it's big.  In classic Desch fashion we didn't bother to measure the room and then the couch to see how the fit would be.  It looked like it would be fine, so we went ahead with the purchase.  The day it was delivered I remember Josh and I were sitting on the stairs watching the delivery people move it in, majorly sweating if it would fit or not.  I saw how big each piece was as the movers brought them in and saw the shrinking space between the end of the growing couch and the wall...  turns out that although it does fit by about 6 inches on one side, it is far too much couch for such a tiny room!  But we love it anyway!  It seats tons of people and maybe someday we will have a bigger living room where it will look more appropriate.  Anyway a wonderful friend from church (Kel- the former Christine Griebel!!) took me to the Brooklyn Flea Market a few weeks ago and I was able to find some things that I loved.  Along with being a hotbed for hipsters- I had major insecurity that my jeans weren't nearly skinny enough- there was a wonderful selection of interesting furniture, clothing, artwork, food, jewelry, and randomness.    We still have pics that we will hang on the wall when we get around to printing them out (a pitfall of digital photography!!) so it's a bit of a work in progress.





2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh, I totally get this. Our house has very little natural light, too. Well, at least that's true of the kitchen and family rooms where we spend most of our time. And they previous owners painted it that same gray. It doe not work in a dark house! We are repainting this weekend. Though I would like a little more color, we just went with cream with a touch of tan (just enough so it's not white). I'm hoping that will make it a bit lighter. Then I hope we finally hang some things on the walls! But with plaster walls and walls with wood paneling, that will present some challenges :)

The Morginskys said...

are you kidding me with the brooklyn flea market? i died a little inside of jealousy!!! love the pics! which pieces are new?? i love the gray walls...looks great to me!!!