I was sitting in my chair thinking of what I wanted to blog about today, and a story came to me, a story that many of you have probably heard and/or were a part of, but one that is worth retelling none the less. This story is about me and Josh's quite interesting beginning as a couple on the path that would eventually lead to marital bliss, but at the time of this story's occurrence, that possibility wasn't looking too great.
Josh asked me to be his girlfriend on April 13, 2005, and I said that would be great. I had never had a boyfriend, and Josh and I had liked each other since the previous spring, which made for some pretty awkward encounters. But mind you I had never had a boyfriend, so I wasn't quite sure how to begin this endeavor of "boyfriend-ing," if you will.
One day in the Great Hall serves as a particularly good example of my psychoses related to the recent acquisition of a boyfriend. I was sitting with some friends eating lunch in the Great Hall, and all of the sudden we all see Josh come through and swipe his card for lunch. I immediately panicked. I didn't want to have to think about talking to him in front of all of my girlfriends because I knew I'd sound stupid, and I didn't want to talk to him anyway because I knew I wouldn't have anything to say, so I hit the deck. Literally. I crawled under the table until he was gone into an area where he couldn't see my table anymore. My friends all thought this was a really strange way to act when you saw your boyfriend, but it was all I could do. When they told me the coast was clear, I hightailed it out of that room faster than you could say the word "boyfriend." I escaped unscathed from that near encounter. This pattern continued for a couple of weeks. It went pretty much like this.
1. See Josh walking toward me from across the room.
2. Turn around very quickly before he could notice me and walk the other way.
I know, I know!!! This is the strangest sort of behavior possible when you're finally getting to be in a relationship with someone you've liked for a year!! My friends April, Rachel, and Kelly had to talk me out of dumping Josh a couple of weeks before my graduation- they told me I was crazy. Can you see why they thought that?
Yet through all of this Josh remained as patient as can be, and as insistent as ever that he wanted to be with me. Eventually I came around. Now all of that is behind us, and I relish the job of loving him with my whole heart. For some reason that story came to my mind, and I thought you'd enjoy it.
1 comment:
...and enjoyed it I did
Post a Comment