As I was saying yesterday, our trip was just wonderful. I'm so thankful that we got to go. Marnie and Chris are now living it up in Italy, and the rest of us are back to our normal lives.
We returned to an empty refrigerator. Ever since we moved out into the country our refrigerator seems to have been in a perpetual state of emptiness. I know I said this when we lived in our old apartment, but now I really mean it. This morning we were trying to scrape something together to take for lunch, and let me tell you what Josh came up with: green beans (with a can opener of course), the leftover half of a Rice Krispie treat from the best bakery in the world that happens to be in Peoria, IL (if you were at our rehearsal dinner you ate these... we call them bricks because they're like 3 inches thick.), about 3 Paul Newman little sandwich cookies, some really old grapes that had reached the nasty squishy stage, and some spinach. Doesn't that sound HORRIBLE? I said that we were going to have to buy something for lunch, because that clearly would leave us both hungry and disgusted. We ended up getting our favorite frozen burritos that you make in the microwave. So you can see that we need to go grocery shopping.
While we're on the topic of food, let me tell you about the incident which was eating the top layer of our wedding cake on our first anniversary. We celebrated one year on Sunday, May 13th, and it was a wonderful day. It really was, even though we were in the car from about 10:30 AM until midnight. We saw my family in the morning as we headed out from Texas and then saw Mr. and Mrs. Desch in the evening, since we stayed at their house on Sunday night on the way back to Augusta. My mom had brought down the top layer of our wedding cake, which had been in frozen hibernation since our wedding last year. It stayed in a lump of aluminum foil until we arrived at the Desch house in Peachtree City, when we eagerly unwrapped it and got ready to cut it. There was a mysterious wet sheen on the frosting, but other than that it looked pretty normal. The frosting was still pretty. We cut it open (a moment that was caught on the camera), and fed a bite to each other. To my surprise it was quite tasty!! I'm not sure what I was expecting... probably some kind of severe freezer burn. But it wasn't freezer burnt at all. I thought, "Wow! This is pretty good for a cake that is one year old!" Then we asked Josh's parents if they wanted some, and eagerly cut little pieces for each one of us. I bit into my piece and to my disgust found it soaking wet. That is one of the grossest tastes in the world, let me tell you. We're talking so wet you could have wrung it out like a sponge. Josh and I were given false hopes for the whole cake by the dry piece that we cut first, but most of the rest of the cake, pretty as it was, was severely waterlogged. I don't know if that resulted from uneven freezing, or just how it thawed out, but it was pretty gross. I'm thankful for that good first bite, and at least we can say that we attempted to eat the top layer of our cake.
I am so thankful for Josh. Being married to him is such a joy. My dad was joking around on Sunday morning and asked if we had had our first fight yet, and I was like "Dad, you don't even KNOW!!" We fight practically once every hour, but we are so happy. It's wonderful to be in a relationship where it's OK to have total meltdowns, knowing that the other person will be there to pick up the pieces and help put you back together. I have learned so much about how making sacrificial choices is actually one of the most fulfilling things possible. Seeing Josh's happiness is honestly so much more gratifying and exciting than experiencing my own. Josh is a wonderful, wonderful husband, and I am so thankful for him every day that goes by.
We're getting excited about LOST tonight!!
No comments:
Post a Comment