Friday, May 25, 2007

The Difference Between Good Books and Great Ones

So anyone who knows me knows I read a lot. Today, I would like to discuss the difference between good books and great books. I'm not going to tell you the difference between good books and great ones, because I honestly don't know what that is. What I do know, however, is that when you read a great book, you know it, and when you read a book that's only good, you know its only good and not great. As a pastor to be, I run into the problem of what to spend my time reading all the time. Think about it. Its hard to find very many Christian - especially reformed - books which couldn't be classified as at least "good." There are a bunch of worthless books, of course, but there is also a ton of good ones. There are like 800 different commentaries on the book of Romans, for instance. I bet only 100 or so of those are either heretical or just aren't very good. That leaves at least 700 commentaries that are good, in the sense that they are at least somewhat insightful and edifying, and are theologically correct. Nonetheless, there are not very many great commentaries on Romans. People are going to disagree on this, but there are probably only 5-10 great commentaries on Romans, maybe even less. I'm always asking myself, "Is this book worth my time?" I wish I would only read great books, but sometimes I read good books as well. I would say that in my life, I have probably read under 40 great books. I have read parts or all of about 1000 good books. Great books just have the ability to get over the hump, to give that extra 10%, to go the extra mile, that seperates the men from the boys. When you climb the summit and reach the top where great books reside, there's only so much room, and down below you, in the vast abyss, are about 50 million good books, and off in the distance you can faintly see the 500 million worthless books that have been written. Now again, I recognize that everyone has there own set of great books. But for all of us, we're tyring to reach that summit, trying to read as many great books as we can. I can't describe the difference between a great book and good one in much detail, but if I might borrow from another saying, I know it when I read it. How many great books have you read? Here is one example of genuine great book I am currently reading.

No comments: