Ahh, I can feel it in the air... full-blown summer is right around the corner. I am loving it!! We were out at the Pizza Joint with some friends last night and we saw so many high school-ish age students. That got me thinking that they must be out of school. Then I saw that a lot of them were wearing pirate hats, and we figured out that they must be going to the opening of Pirates of the Caribbean 3. That made me remember such good times with no responsibility- once school was out, all you had to do was have fun with your friends. That was great. I feel like I keep beating this same drum, but I keep thinking it. I'm reliving those days through the lives of our youth.
Some of my favorite things about summer:
1. Corn on the cob. I love that stuff sooo much. Reminds me of the days when my mom used to send me out to the deck with a brown paper bag and give me orders to shuck about 20 cobs. I can shuck with the best of them.
2. Driving around with the windows down. I think this is done best in the evening. You don't want to fry during the day, but having the windows down in the cooler evening is perfect.
3. Sleeping with the windows open. This is one of my very favorite things. I love hearing the bugs and other things making a ruckus at night.
4. Other summer fruits and vegetables. I just got us some peaches at the store today for lunch, and they were soooooooo good. Add strawberries, tomatoes, watermelon, blueberries... summer is a season for produce that's hard to beat.
5. Going to drive in restaurants. Back in Peoria there's a place called Lou's that is soooo good. They have the best root beer in the world. You drive up in your car, put the window down, and get some really good food. Down in Augusta we go to Sonic, which is a modern-day, chain establishment, but the experience is just as fun. Maybe Josh will take me and Baby Desch there tonight for dinner!! YUM!!
6. Longer evenings. It takes longer for the sun to set. I love the fact that there's more daylight. Summer evenings are just made for being outside and enjoying yourself (provided that you have some kind of bug protection. Those silly bugs.)
7. Vacations!! I love this part!! Getting away from your normal routine and relaxing and having fun is just great!!
8. Lemonade. I love this stuff! Drinking it reminds me of cookouts and good times. Same with Kool-Aid, especially grape. YUM.
9. The smell of food on the grill. I love food on the grill, especially barbequed chicken, baked potatoes, and most of all, HOT DOGS. Yum.
Josh and I are making it a goal to have strawberries and corn on the cob in the house until they are out of season. It's just a good idea to have something that yummy in the house at all times. So if you come to our house any time soon, count on eating at least one of those!! Have a wonderful day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment