Wednesday, May 9, 2007

CANNED HEAT

Do ya'll know the song "Canned Heat" by the artist Jamiroquai? This is the song that Napoleon dances his swan song dance to at the end of the movie... until it gets cut off and he runs off the stage. This song is also in the movie Center Stage if you've seen that, in the last dance. This song has become one of our newest theme songs. It's incredible. Let me give you some lyrics... "Hey DJ/let the music play/I wanna dance this party night..."

So this morning Josh decided that he needed some help getting up and at 'em (which he does, trust me). I thought he was going to put on "Jesus, I am Resting, Resting," which is one of our favorite songs that we listen to a lot. But no, I hear the beginning strains of "Canned Heat." What a great song for waking you up and pumping you up about the day. Josh got some Napoleon Dynamite moves going, and he was out of the bed running. I would love to get him some moon boots and bigger glasses and jeans up to his belly button so he could really look the part. What ever happened to moon boots anyway? Those things were genius and they've fallen off the face of the earth.

One of Jamiroquai's lines is "Got canned heat in my heels tonight, Baby." He kind of draws out that last "Baby," and for the longest time Josh swore that he was saying "Big Beth" instead of "Baby." Who the heck is Big Beth? I had to work really hard to convince him that the song wasn't about some random bigger girl named Beth, but he was really saying "Baby." Now I've got him convinced, but we still sing "Big Beth" just because it's funny. If you've never heard this song, you're in for a treat.

Now along the lines of singing and dancing, I happen to own the movie "Crossroads." I became the dubious owner of this movie when my sister Emily couldn't stand to see it on her shelf anymore. For those of you who don't remember anything about this movie, this is Britney Spear's first foray into acting, and trust me, this movie is horrible. Actually, I'm disgracing the word "horrible" by using it to describe this movie. Nothing can prepare you for the pathetic acting, the completely trite and unrealistic dialogue, the speed with which people develop relationships with each other (somehow people go from perfect strangers to boyfriend and girlfriend who can see into each other's hearts in the span of a drive across the country with 2 other girls there), and worst, Britney Spears' singing, which you know had to be thrown in because she's Britney Spears. I have no problem with singing in a movie, but you know that there will be singing because she's Britney and that's possibly one of her only redeeming talents. This movie is extremely, pathetically bad. Anyway, I put that movie on the other night when we were packing for the trip to Chatty, and after a few minutes Josh was begging me to turn it off. After a little more than an hour, I had mercy on him and turned it off. So if you're ever wondering if you should rent this movie, wonder no more. This movie would be a waste of a penny, or even worse, your time. But if you desperately need a laugh, this is a great choice. Not because they're trying to be funny and it's working, but because they're trying so hard to be serious and it's not working at all.

So, let me condense this post for you... go download the song "Canned Heat" and put as much distance as possible between yourselves and "Crossroads!"

No comments: