Josh and I were discussing gender issues at lunch and I was expressing serious disgust for Victoria's Secret, which is one of my soapboxes that he has heard me stand on a jillion times. Allow me to get on my soapbox on our blog. I hate that place with a passion. I don't want to step on any toes here... if you like Victoria's Secret or work there or are a stockholder, please feel free to refrain from reading the rest of this post. But I HATE Victoria's Secret. Every time I walk by one (which thankfully isn't often) I have to resist the urge to march in there and throw a fit. This is why.
It's not so much that I feel wronged by the way that Victoria's Secret as an enterprise portrays a typical woman's body, although I see the tight, tanned, toned bodies of those models and have to roll my eyes in disgust. Most women don't look like that, never will, and might not even want to. So yes, I think it's fair to say that Victoria's Secret, with it's sickening yet seductive marketing, only adds to the already enormous pressure women feel to make their bodies look a certain way.
But my real disgust with Victoria's Secret doesn't lie with the marketing executives, but with the women who allow women to be portrayed as strictly sex objects. I think it's honestly revolting when those "angels" come on TV in their underwear and send the message that women are all about SEX, SEX, SEX. I just want to shake any woman involved in Victoria's Secret as a company and say DON'T YOU KNOW THAT YOU'RE INVOLVED IN AN ORGANIZATION THAT COMPLETELY DEGRADES WOMEN TO CHEAP SEX OBJECTS??????? HELLO???? In a fight for gender equality in a social sense, I feel like those commercials and stores and products are a serious set-back. Here, come spend $50 on a bra and you'll be sexy and have men chasing after you and your body. Give me a break.
OK, you can see that I have very strong feelings about this!! At lunch I suggested to Josh that we make Victoria's Secret for MEN, called HUBERT'S SECRET. Can't you just see it now? Men models jumping around commercial sets in thongs, speedos, etc... I think it would be a big hit. I am hoping that this idea will catch on. If any of you have suggestions on who could serve as a good model, please don't hesitate to give me his name and number!!
Alright, I am officially off of my soap box now. End of tirade.
Have a wonderful day!!
1 comment:
YOU GO GET 'EM GIRL!!
Agreed that VS is one wheel in the machine that distracts women from attaining what they REALLY want from their lives - by keeping them entirely wrapped up in appearances - and adds the second offense by reinforcing the idea in men's minds that women's purpose for existence is for male gratification. You keep beating that drum - if more of us did so with a stubborn refusal to back down (and a refusal to spend our money at establishments that promote this view of women), we would see change.
Post a Comment