Friday, February 23, 2007

Fun To Be Had at the Grocery Store

Josh and I really, really enjoy grocery shopping! It's so fun to go pick out things to eat and things that you need to make other things to eat. Now I love to cook, and I realize that not everyone does, but trust me, the grocery store is a prime place to have fun. You just have to look for it.

Let me give you an example. Josh and I were in the produce section at Kroger last week. We found some beautiful Braeburn apples for $1.49 a pound, and they were very hard. I wasn't expecting to find non-mushy apples this time a year, but lo and behold, there they were. I picked out 5 or 6 because apples are one of my favorite fruits, and we love to cut them up and put them on top of salads. The ONLY way spinach is bearable in my book is if it's covered in so much fruit that it's almost not possible to taste the spinach. Horrible, horrible stuff. Anyway, we picked out some pretty apples and were going to look at some white grapefruit. We usually get pink and decided we would get a white one just for kicks. As Josh was picking out just the one he wanted, somehow the bag of apples fell out of his hand and went crashing down to the floor. So all of our beautiful apples were no longer beautiful; alas, they were marred with bruises. But being the ethical people that we are, we still bought them and cut off the bad spots at home. And they were still good! But this is just one example of fun that can be had at a grocery store!! We've laughed about this ever since. It's especially funny when you drop things at the grocery store and they go rolling.

OK, here's another example. This didn't happen at the grocery store, but it happened with food that we had just gotten, so it kind of applies. We were at home unpacking our groceries from that same trip to Kroger and somehow a bag of kiwis got put on the floor. We love putting kiwis on salads too! So good!! I don't know how exactly this happened, but Josh stepped on one of the kiwis and it split open. This was not his day with fruit!! But it was really funny, and we're still laughing about it. (It doesn't take much to amuse us.)

Grocery shopping with my mother when I was younger was always a somewhat nerve-wracking experience. I know that all of my sisters can attest to this. My mother had the strangest habit of throwing cans, cartons of cottage cheese, or even jars of food into the air really high and catching them on the way back down. That is, if you were lucky she would catch them. I remember standing in an aisle on more than one occasion, humiliated because my mom had just dropped whatever she was playing with. Then, the dreaded request: "cleanup on aisle x." This strange habit of my mother's made for some very memorable, face-flushing grocery experiences. I remember being so annoyed with my mom and asking her, "WHY do you have to DO that?????" on each occasion when she made an ill-fated throw. I can't say that I've taken up my mom's habit (thankfully), but I can at least say grocery shopping with her was never boring.

So remember, grocery shopping can be fun. If you don't believe me, just drop some fruit or step on a kiwi or smash a carton of cottage cheese all over the floor. If it's not fun and doesn't make you laugh, at least it might be a shopping trip for the ages.


Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: