Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Josh Desch, Sandwich Artist

I would like to share with our readers about Josh's amazing capacity for making sandwiches. Although many of you may never have the privilege of eating one of his sandwiches, it would be a crying shame for me to let such talent go unnoticed by many people who know him.

Josh makes incredible sandwiches. Given the most menial of ingredients, he will cut and grill until he has made something masterful. Some of my favorites are the tuna melt, the egg and cheese delight, turkey and cheese, and pretty much anything else you can put between two pieces of bread. Oh, I forgot to mention the grilled cheese. Maybe an everyday sandwich for some of you, but for me, a grilled cheese sandwich a la Desch is an experience. We ate them for lunch today, and it was almost lifechanging how good they were. Josh just has an uncanny ability to take all of his sandwiches to the next level. I wish for all of your sakes that at some point you will be around our house when the griddle pan comes out and Josh gets going with the bread knife and his other sandwich tools.

I stepped outside this morning to put the mail in the mailbox at work, and although it was warm like a spring day, it lacked something. You know that smell in the air that lets you know spring is on the way? It's earthy, maybe a little bit wet... one of my favorite smells in the world. It didn't smell like that. In fact, the air smelled curiously like lawn fertilizer, which was a disappointment. For all of the warmth I was hoping to sense that spring was coming, but I think today is a just a winter day posing as a spring hopeful. Maybe we'll see spring coming in the next few weeks. Hearing the birds in the morning is one of my favorite things to wake up to. Bring it on, I'm ready!!

1 comment:

matthew gillikin said...

the weather was so nice in chapel hill today that i went for a jog, first time in four months. i took it pretty easy, but it felt good. i'm so pumped about warm weather.