As I'm sitting here writing, I've got that wonderful jittery feeling that results from a good cup of coffee. You know when you've had some coffee and your heart beats a little faster and harder and you feel more alive?? Yeah, that one. I love it!! I actually just had a caramel frappucino, but it's the same effect. I'm just beginning to enjoy coffee again. Right after we found out I was pregnant, my normal likes and dislikes took a vacation, and they are just now sluggishly returning.
Josh and I had been making coffee every morning- enough for both of us to have a cup before leaving the house, and then enough for me to take some to work. I've always loved the idea of a travel cup- I think it's so adult-ish. So I filled up my travel cup and away we went. But that habit came to a screeching halt when I found out that Baby Desch was on the way. Now the objection wasn't necessarily because of the caffeine, although you are supposed to limit that when you're pregnant. It was because all of the sudden I found everything about coffee repulsive. The smell, the taste, even the THOUGHT of coffee. Dwelling on a cup of coffee was dangerous because it made me want to throw up. So that was out for a few months, I guess until just a couple of weeks ago. Now I can happily drink coffee again. (Of course, in moderation- don't want Baby Desch experiencing caffeine highs just yet.)
Another thing was potato soup. I've always liked potato soup. In fact, I think Josh and I made some just a couple of weeks before we found out the news. But after the big revelation, potato soup's name was MUD. I couldn't stand the thought of potatoes, garlic, milk, and cheese in the same pot. Pretty much anything garlicky made me want to be sick. My aversion to potato soup was strong and lasted all the way through the first trimester. Sick. Now while I don't necessarily want potato soup, the thought doesn't make me throw up.
I also really didn't want anything sweet. Now for me, that's almost cause for concern. I LOVE all things sugary. But for some reason, brownies, chocolate chip cookies, cake, pie, etc.- all of those things that usually hold such allure- just seemed gross. The only sweet thing I wanted was those orange and vanilla popsicles called Dreamsicles. I really wanted those, but nothing else. Hmm. Strange. Trust me, my sweet tooth has now returned with a vengeance.
Things I really, really wanted? Hot dogs. Green beans. I once asked Josh to get me a can of green beans and bring it to me at work. Strange? Yes. That noodle soup that you mix with boiling water. Frozen peaches. Taco salad. I don't know how to explain the phenomenon of cravings and aversions, but trust me, it's real. I always thought that pregnant women saying they had a craving was just imagination- a made up excuse for something that sounded good. But it's real!!! It's pretty funny, and definitely unpredictable.
But Josh has been more than gracious in this strange time- indulging my cravings, making extra trips to get things that sounded good, etc. He often says, "what the baby wants, the baby gets." And he means it. He feeds our baby well, even now.
All right, in closing I just have to put in a plug for today's weather. It's amazingly beautiful. It really is. I could have days like today for the rest of my life and be happy. We ate lunch today out on our porch and just enjoyed the sunshine. Ahh.
No comments:
Post a Comment