Monday, February 19, 2007

Riding Out a Beautiful Weekend

Well, Folks, here we are. Another weekend come and gone. Our's was just wonderful- restful, relaxing, and of course, so much fun. But we've got to back up to our Thursday night dinner at Calvert's, the fancy restaurant where I won dinner for Josh and me by guessing the right number of M & Ms in a jar.

We both ate filet with a twice-baked potato, green beans, and an iceberg wedge salad. Yum! Picture this with me. Josh and I are at this really nice restaurant where the cheapest dish on the menu is $22, with lots of people who look well-accustomed to eating in such luxury- do you think we felt a little out of our league? But it was so fun. The waitress came to our table and asked what we wanted to drink... Josh got a cocktail, and I said sheepishly, "Can I just have a Coke?" Probably not their most commonly heard drink order, but whatever. We got a lovely key lime pie for dessert, which was amazing. Key lime pie is soooo good. I can't think of a time that I've eaten a piece of key lime pie and been disappointed. Some are definitely better than others, but key lime pie is such a foundationally good dessert that it's hard to be dissatisfied. I also think it's a good way to end a big dinner because it sits lighter than something like chocolate cake with caramel, which is good going down, but can sit in your stomach for a long time after you leave the restaurant. So we got our luxurious eating fix for a while- it was wonderful.

We met Marnie and Chris in Greenwood, SC, for dinner on Saturday night. That was such a blast!! We met at Cracker Barrel, and the food was good as usual. As we were saying goodbye, Marnie began brainwashing Baby Desch that she is his/her favorite aunt already and she loves him/her more than all of his/her other aunts. Baby Desch is at a very vulnerable position, and I think he/she is easily swayed right now, so anyone else who wants to be favorite aunt (basically any of my other sisters and Josh's sister) had better get with the program and present your case to Baby Desch, who is currently taking applications for Favorite Aunt.

Yesterday was also a wonderful day. We went to church in the morning and spent the afternoon relaxing, which was wonderful. For lunch we made some amazing mashed potatoes!! Some of you know that one of my greatest cravings in this interesting experience has been for mashed potatoes, and the batch we made yesterday was the best yet. We used Yukon Gold potatoes and beat them into submission with our stand mixer!! It did such an amazing job!! You could have put this in an IV drip and it would have passed through with no problem. So yummy!! Josh felt a little sorry for the potatoes, who got a thorough, embarassing whipping from the mixer whip. But we didn't feel sorry enough to not eat them.

Well, I guess that's about it from here for now. I hope that ya'll had a wonderful weekend!

No comments: