Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Exciting News from Martinez

Hello Friends! I have exciting news to announce to our faithful readers (all 2 of you). Josh and I have finally joined the burgeoning ranks of digital camera owners! As some of you well know, this is a transition that I have fought against tooth and nail. I have had many debates with my cousin John about the comparative virtues of film vs. digital, and in my mind, film won every time hands down. I still think that digital is a somewhat cheap way to do photography, but alas, the tide of our society has pushed me this way and I find myself as a brand new camera owner. It's almost reaching the point where film developing is just a plain old hassle. So we decided to take the plunge, and here we are. The camera came yesterday quite unexpectedly. You know when you order something online that you're excited about and they tell you it won't ship out for at least a week and don't get your hopes up and then it comes way earlier than they said??? This is cause for great excitement if you're me. The UPS lady brought in a box to work yesterday and I said "what have you got for us?" because I'm always the one to sign for the packages. She said, "This one's just for you!" And I started getting really excited!! It indeed was the camera. I love surprises.

So when we got home last night we took it out of the box and were instantly flummoxed by all of the buttons and twirly things on the top, but we finally managed to take a few amazing pictures. We downloaded them to my computer at home, but we don't technically have wireless internet in our apartment. Every once in a while we can pick up on someone else's network and use it briefly, but I guess no one was available last night, right when we needed it. So the pictures aren't here today for your viewing pleasure.

Here's more news: our basil plant has died. A lady from church gave us a piece of her basil plant in a little clay pot, and we were very excited for a few reasons. First of all, we love basil!! It's so nice to have fresh basil in pasta dishes particularly. One of our favorite pasta dishes is plain old angel hair tossed with olive or canola oil, parmesan cheese, tomatoes, and asparagus. Yum!! Add some basil to it, and it's extra good. I also love the smell of basil. It smells so fresh, herb-y, and exciting. Additionally, it's just nice to have some plants around. I think we were given this plant a few months ago, and ever since we got it, it just has not done well. Many of the leaves have been holey, in various shades of green, and somewhat wilted. We thought maybe the pot was too small, maybe we watered it too much, maybe we didn't water it enough, maybe it didn't get enough sunshine... it didn't matter what we tried, nothing much helped. There was only one point where I thought it was doing well. We unfortunately hammered the nails in the coffin last week when we were housesitting, since we forgot to water it while we were going back and forth. Now it's a pathetic stalk with some dead leaves, a shadow of its former self.

On a brighter note, we have another plant that is doing quite well, in fact, it's our pride and joy. The ladies I work with sent it home with me from the office because they were sick of looking at it. It was probably August when we took it home and put it out on our porch. August in Augusta is not a pretty thing. It's like the worst humidity I've ever experienced. So here's this plant, accustomed to its pampered life in 72 degree, climate-controlled bliss: all of the sudden, it's dropped into hell. Needless to say, it didn't exactly thrive in its new environment. Actually, all of the leaves fell off except for one. It looked really funny to see that giant pot with one little leaf still growing. But we're happy to say that this plant was resurrected!! Now he (we call him Howeous Planteous for some unknown reason) is doing wonderfully and growing like a weed. We're so proud.

Josh is home sick today. He was so tired the whole day yesterday, but we thought he was just exhausted from all of the running around we've been doing. He asked if maybe he should stay home from Lamaze last night, but we decided that we would both go and then go to bed right after we got home. Then when we got home and he started getting really hot and cold and couldn't sleep and felt like he was going to throw up, I felt horrible for not believing him that he felt sick. Oops!! I'm sorry, Baby! He's feeling a little better today, but he had to cancel youth group for tonight.

Well, it turns out that most of this news wasn't "exciting" as our title promised, so I apologize for the false advertising. A more accurate title would have been "Mundane News from Martinez," or "Lame News from Martinez."

Happy Wednesday to all of our friends and family!

2 comments:

cassel_____ said...

hey, I read you guys all the time. I enjoy it a lot, too. Don't let Josh throw up anywhere inconvenient. Ruffle the curls for me.

matthew gillikin said...

until modern medicine perfects the full body transplant, this is just how it's going to be. i used to favor film over digital, but then i realized i could take lots more pictures and see them instantly with the digital. and it's cheaper on getting pictures developed.