Monday, February 26, 2007

Weekend in Review

Friday night and Saturday morning Josh and I went to the XPRESS Your Faith conference at Perimeter Church in Atlanta along with a few other people from Redeemer. It was one of the most refreshing, encouraging things I have ever done! I'm so thankful that we got to go. XPRESS Your Faith is a method of sharing your faith with people that is very conversational and engaging. Randy Pope (the pastor who came up with the conference) was a very interesting, straightforward communicator. I would encourage anyone to go to that conference- it was so good!! I would like to go again at some point.

Hmm, what else? Ooh, this is exciting news- Josh and I picked up keys to our new apartment yesterday afternoon! I can't believe that we're actually moving. It seems like just yesterday that we signed the papers to break our lease back in January. One of the biggest things we were dreading was repainting our apartment.

When we moved in at the end of May and asked if we could paint, they said we were very welcome to paint as long as we put it back to white before we moved out. Ahh, no big deal, so we thought. We merrily began painting our VERY, VERY vibrant shades of orange and red. At first it was fun. The gray primer coat. The first coat of orange paint. Wow, we thought. That looks terrible. A horrible cross between gray and the beginnings of orange. But we didn't lose heart. The second coat of orange paint. Wow, we thought. That still looks pretty bad. We were beginning to curse the man at Home Depot who advised us to get a gray primer. Tricia Williams came to paint with us at some point in here, and agreed that we needed at least one more coat. The third coat of paint. After this was done, we were getting despondent. It still looked terrible. We had some desperate thoughts at this point... I suggested, "maybe we could just leave it like this and people would think we meant to do this." It looked like a really cheap halloween display that people hadn't taken time to paint very well. Next I suggested, "maybe we could make a mural and paint some crazy things over it." We were both so mad and wondering why we ever started this project. You have to understand that by this point, we had already gone to Home Depot a few times to get more supplies, to get more paint as the number of coats required kept increasing, etc. We were swearing to ourselves all along that it would take 3 coats, but here was the third coat, and it still looked bad. Well, in came Mr. and Mrs. Desch to the rescue. Painters with fresh enthusiasm! They came and breathed new life into our project. The four of us quickly did a fourth coat, holding our breath that when it dried it would finally look finished. And it did! No fifth coat required. Hallelujah.

So you can see why we were dreading painting the walls back to white. I can't imagine how many coats it will take until it doesn't look like a shade of canteloupe. But it's not going to be our problem! We decided to pay the apartment people to paint it back themselves. I mean, by the time you buy the primer, paint, supplies, etc., and factor in your frustration, time, and all of the better things you COULD be doing (opportunity cost!! I learned something in macroeconomics!), the bill is pretty much a fortune. I actually feel like we're getting a bargain. Who knew that painting was so much work? Someone please remind me of this next time we decide we want to paint. It's times like these that I'm reminded of why PAINTERS exist.

Anyway, we're going to start moving some things over this week. It's sad in some ways, but exciting too.

Have a great Monday!!

No comments: