Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Baby Desch, World Traveler

Today I had one of my first "I'm-Almost-A-Parent" moments. Josh is leading a missions trip to Canada this summer from July 14-21. There are 6 youth going, and then one other adult, who is not me since Baby Desch will have only just made his/her appearance. Seeing as Josh will be gone for a week, I'm not too keen on me and Baby Desch hanging out at our apartment alone for a week. Too lonely! So the two of us are going to fly home to Peoria while Josh is gone. I was on airtran.com today trying to buy the ticket (you only have to buy one when traveling with an infant because he/she can just sit on your lap. Hopefully I will not regret this. I have no desire to be the one that everyone hates on the flight with the screaming baby.), and I checked the box for "traveling with an infant?". The next screen asked for the baby's name, sex, and birthdate. This was problematic because I didn't know any of these. I tried to put in a fake name with the due date as the birth date, but evidently you're not allowed to travel with a baby who hasn't been born yet. I decided that I would just go ahead and age Baby Desch a bit... so by the time we take that flight he'll probably be in the books as about 4 months old. I don't think it really matters- I think they just want to be sure that the baby isn't over 2 years, or whatever the cutoff age is for when you actually have to buy the baby his or her own seat. If it does matter for some reason, then I'll look for a tired, apathetic checker-inner who probably wouldn't know a 1 year old from a newborn. But it was funny signing up my yet-unborn child for his/her first flight.

Josh left yesterday for a Presbytery meeting in Savannah, where he was supposed to officially go under care of the Presbytery. I was lonely last night but used the time to attack the mountain range of dishes in our kitchen, so that was good. I turned on the TV for some friendly noise and washed dishes during the commercials. Yet again another contestant fell prey to the greedy desire for more money on Deal or No Deal and ended up walking away with a measley amount compared to what she could have had. I shook my head in an I-told-you-you-would-pick-the-big-case- sort of way. Then 24 came on... a little Jack Bauer is good for everyone.

I'm really into sweet tea right now. I don't know if that's an official sign that I've embraced my current situation in life as a Southerner, but sweet tea is really good. I just learned how to make it on my own. Homemade sweet tea is wonderful. It's also kind of bad because you see just how much sugar establishments like Chick Fil-A must be putting in their sweet tea to make it taste like that. Trust me, you can dump tablespoon after tablespoon for a disturbingly long time, and it's still not going to taste like that.

OK, I guess that's all for now. Have a wonderful day!!

No comments: