
Like everyone else, I was shocked by the massacre that happened just a few days ago a Virginia Tech. The number of people killed on wounded by one person with two handguns is simply staggering. 33 people dead; at least another 16 wounded - all with multiple gunshot wounds. On an experiental level, its hard to believe this could happen. Nonetheless, on a intellectual level - and this is the really scary part - its NOT hard to believe this could happen once one spends a little time in reflection.
After all, this is America, where a resident alien can buy two handguns and lots of ammunition just because he had a drivers license and no crimal record, even though he had been investigated for stalking and wrote extremely disturbing plays in an English class. This is America, where our movies and video games glorify violence, and you would have to live in a cave to actually be shocked by a murder you saw on a TV show. We have all become desensitived. Me and Bets' favorite show is 24, like millions and millions of other people. And even know we like this show for reasons other than the violence, its hard to have an episode go by where someone doesn't get shot. This is America, where the homicide rates is way higher than other first world and Western nations
I love America, don't get me wrong. As far as I know, its the greatest country in the world. We have a lot of freedoms and a lot of money. Still, we need to come to grips with the fact that America is a violent country. I don't know how much American culture contributed to this young man's horrible rampage, but I do know this: there will other crazies who do this in the future. In my relatively short life I have witnessed Columbine, the two Virginia/DC area snipers who terrized that area for months, and now Virginia Tech.
What's so scary about these killing sprees is that they don't have a direct or obvious motivation. By that, I mean these people were not fighting for a cause, something I believed in with all their heart. Nor were they fighting for a country, or a movement such as the abolition of slaves, like John Brown in 1856 in Kansas. (below: John Brown)

It seems that these killings were motivated by extremely distrubed individuals with a love of violence - end of story. I almost wish they were fighting for something they believe in, because the killings would make more sense in my mind, but instead were are left only with questions.
Bringing it all home. I think this tragic event has reminded us all of how much people need Jesus. God ordains all things, but from a human perspective, the only thing that definately would have stopped this guy from doing this is the power of the gospel. This guy was lost; he was confused and angry at life. Only the love of Jesus seen on the cross could ultimately have provided the answers this guy was looking for. Is our culture violent? Sure. But gun control (and we could use a little) and secular counseling on our college campuses is not going to solve the problem. People need Jesus; lets show Him to them.
1 comment:
Amen to that Josh! We must preach Christ and Him crucified... There is no other hope for humanity.
Your favorite evangelist
Post a Comment