Thursday, April 5, 2007

My Problem with Fergie

Does anyone here know the musician Fergie? She was a singer in the Black Eyed Peas, and I've got to say, I can't stand her music for several reasons. First of all, I think her main following consists of pre-teen girls. If your fans are mainly 11-14 year old girls, I think that says something about your music (no offense intended if you are an 11-14 year old girl). They are some of the most vulnerable in terms of absorbing ideas, and I think for some reason Fergie appeals to them. Fergie's music is probably the last thing they need to hear. Second, I feel like Fergie is obsessed with spelling. Have you noticed that? In her first hit "Fergilicious", the word "delicious" (a clever rhyme) is spelled by some male background singers several times. In her second hit "Glamorous," she and her background singers spell "glamorous" several times in the course of the song. Is Fergie really a washed-up spelling bee contestant? Did she lose the spelling bee in 5th grade and she's still carrying around that baggage? I feel like this type of music would be more appropriately sung by Elmo on Sesame Street than a pop star. At least then children would learn about letters and spelling. Instead, Fergie spells out words with a sexy beat in the background, and everyone lauds her as a star. Fergie, if you're reading this, I think you're horrible and you belong back in primary school, where we get out all of our spelling tension.

With that said, I'm ready to move on to other news. I have an announcement to make (drum roll please......................................................................................)!! Josh and I are now on Flickr!! We just started posting pictures there and we'd be honored if you'd stop by for a look. I put up a link in the side bar as the Desch's Family Pictures. For some reason it takes me a really long time to upload pictures into this blog, so it's easier to put them up there. And trust me, we've got pictures. Our new camera is definitely earning its keep.

Last night Josh and I finally got around to putting up all of our pictures in our new apartment. We had put that off because it's a lot of work to make all the measurements, figure out just where to put the nails so the pictures will be centered and even, make sure everything is straight, etc. Once we had the oomph to get some going, we went strong until all of the hardest ones were done. Now we just have a couple of easy things left to hang up- the things that only take one nail and a quick check to be sure it's level. Our apartment is starting more and more to feel like home.

We're heading to Peachtree City tonight to hang out with Mr. and Mrs. Desch and a few other Peachtree City folks for a couple of days, and then back here for Easter Sunday. Augusta is basking in its full glory as the Masters kicks off for real today. Golf always makes me think of my grandpa, who passed away last winter. He was a BIG golf fan, and I know he would be watching the Masters. So I'll watch it this weekend for him.

Have a wonderful Thursday!

No comments: