Friday, April 13, 2007

Funny Pregnancy Issue

Today Josh and I were having lunch together at the picnic tables outside of the county library, which is a beautiful, sunny spot. Today is a gorgeous day in Augusta- all remnants of the chilly weather we had last weekend and earlier this week are gone! So there we were, eating lunch peacefully- it was sooo good- and then I got the feeling that I needed to blow my nose. So I grabbed a paper towel that we had brought for a napkin, and lo and behold, the floodgates opened and my nose started bleeding like crazy. I've never had a nose bleed in my life, so I was a little bit at a loss to know what to do. It just kept coming and coming, through the two paper towels that we had, then into the huge wad of toilet paper Josh ran in and got from the bathroom. It dripped onto my shirt (which thankfully was black) and a little onto the ground. Then it miraculously quit! All of the sudden the bloody torrent stopped. Now "torrent" may be a bit melodramatic, but for someone who has never had a nosebleed, ever, this was a strange experience. I learned that nosebleeds can be very common in pregnancy because your blood vessels change in order to get blood to the baby easily, and your blood volume also increases to accomodate the extra person inside. I'll know for next time to just get some paper towels and blot away.

Josh and I recently watched a documentary on kids who go to the national spelling bee in Washington D.C. We were amazed by these kids. They all studied spelling words for several hours each day. One kid's parents hired a spelling coach who worked with him daily for 3 or 4 hours. The same kid's grandpa paid people to chant and meditate during the national spelling bee in hopes of improving his grandson's performance. He said if his grandson won, he would pay to feed 1,000 hungry people in India. How's that for pressure? The well-being of 1,000 people rests on my ability to spell ridiculous words that no normal person would ever even hear of, much less use, much less know how to spell. I've gotta say, some of these kids were crazy nerdy. Not that all people who love to spell are nerdy, but I think they got a good representation of the nerd community. The documentary is called "Spellbound" if you're ever interested. It was really good.

Josh and I don't have much planned for this weekend. It's going to be nice to relax. We're still trying to find places for some things in our apartment, so we'll see how that goes.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!!!! HAPPY TAXES!!!!! GOOD OLD UNCLE SAM!!!!!

No comments: