Thursday, March 8, 2007

Common Office Tasks that Are Quite Enjoyable

As everyone knows, I work as a receptionist for a State Farm agent. My job as a receptionist involves all kinds of different work, some that I like and some that I don't like quite as much. I owe my ability as a receptionist to my sister Emily. I worked under her at DeKroyft-Metz & Co., Inc., the summer between my sophomore and junior year at Covenant. She took me under her wing and taught me what she referred to as the "battery of office skills." We obviously had a wonderful time working together. The skills she taught me to be proficient in included stapling, hole punching, faxing, copying, phone calling, and other such things that are essential to being a good receptionist. So Emily, if you're reading this, thank you- even today you're helping to put food on the table.

So here we go: my list of enjoyable office tasks and ones that I'd rather forget.

GOOD THINGS TO DO IN THE OFFICE.
1. Write e-mails. Whether business-related or not, e-mailing is a lovely way to pass the day.
2. Stock the refrigerator with Coke and water. We keep drinks on hand for our customers when they come into the office, and it's a nice job to make sure that the fridge stays full of drinks.
3. Wash dishes. We have a sink in the kitchen where we wash coffee mugs, utensils, etc. I usually enjoy washing the dishes. Very satisfying feeling.
4. Gather everyone's trash on trash day. I also enjoy gathering trash bags for some reason.
5. Get the mail. Our mailbox is outside of our office right by the road, so it's nice to get some fresh air for a second while grabbing the mail.
6. Write letters. I occasionally write letters and/or postcards for my boss, and I like doing that.
7. Make tea or hot chocolate. It's great to have a mug sitting on your desk, both for something to drink and to boost your professionalism.
8. Answer the phone. You just never know what you're going to get when you pick up the phone. A grab bag, if you will.
9. Sign for UPS packages. Usually our's are full of business supplies, such as homeowner's brochures and State Farm pens.
10. Lock up, turn the air up/heat down, and turn out the lights. This is probably my favorite thing to do!!

BAD THINGS TO DO IN THE OFFICE.
1. Water plants. Depending on what shoes I'm wearing, this task is more or less enjoyable. If I'm wearing some beautiful heels, I usually don't like watering the plants because you have to fill up the watering can a couple of times, and all of that walking on tile gets painful. Even if I'm not wearing heels, I still don't like watering the plants because it's too much responsibility. When they don't look so good, I get the blame.
2. Send faxes. I used to want a job as a fax manager, but I decided that sending faxes is actually a drag. The silly old cover sheet, punching in the number, waiting for it to go through... faxing isn't all it's cracked up to be.
3. Making certain late payment calls. Part of my job is to call people who are behind with their bills. Some of them are fine, but calling the people who owe a lot of money and their insurance is about to cancel is not very pleasurable.
4. Just sit in your chair. Sitting in office chairs, no matter how comfortable, gets uncomfortable after several hours. Sometimes there's just no comfortable way to sit. Then your butt gets numb, and it's all downhill from there.

As you can see, the good definitely outweighs the bad. I usually enjoy my job, but regardless of the type of day I've had, 5:30 is always my favorite time of the workday!!

No comments: