Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Joy of Lunch Breaks

I love my lunch break. Josh comes and picks me up every day (since we are a one car family) unless he has a meeting or something and we have lunch together. Before the beginning of this week it was so convenient! He's pick me up and we'd go home to our apartment, which was just about half-way between both of our offices. It was nice to go home and get some stuff done, like a load of dishes, watching a movie, laying in bed, etc. But now we live in the country and have found ourselves homeless for lunch. I would love to still go home and rest for a while, but seeing as it takes about 20 minutes to get to my office where it used to take 4, more than half of our lunch break would be used up in the car. But that's OK because as long as the weather is nice, we can eat outside.

Josh and I were really rushed this morning because we stayed up late watching National Treasure- have any of you seen this movie? If not, please don't bother- it's actually pretty horrible. The script, acting, even props- very sub-par. (I really hope I'm not stepping on any toes here. If you liked this movie, I'm sorry for calling it horrible.) This was the first movie Josh took me to after we started dating- we went to the $1 movie theater in Peachtree City right after I graduated and saw this. I remember when we left I was almost crying because Josh was making me laugh so hard (typical) about how shoddy the props were in this movie. We decided Nicholas Cage must have been a high-maintenance main character, demanding a fancy dressing room and filet at every meal since they obviously had no budget left for set design. ANYWAY, we stayed up late watching that movie again for some unknown reason. Then we snoozed the alarm about 5 times before we actually got up, so by the time we were almost ready to go, we were running pretty late. Then I remembered that we hadn't put together anything for lunch, and since we can't go home anymore, bringing something is a must. Josh said "Leave this one to me." That was good because I think I was running around looking for a bobby pin in the post-move chaos. Looking for the smallest thing possible in piles and piles of stuff when you already should be on the way to work is a bad idea. So Josh put some leftover lasagna and then leftovers from dinner last night in a couple of bowls, and out the door we went. Picture this with me. He had a big square of lasagna for both of us and then leftovers from last night on top. Last night we had stir-fried asparagus, tomatoes, celery, and kidney beans on top of barley and couscous. This on top of lasagna wasn't looking too good. But as the saying goes, beggers can't be choosers, and those who are running really late and know how hungry they'll be at lunch time can't complain. (Just as a sidenote, Josh is the ultimate food mixer. He has no problem with all of the foods on his plate coming together to form one conglomeration of goodness. I, on the other hand, find this very offensive and would like to be eating with those kids' plates that have the sections so none of my food touches each other.)

Anyway, as it turns out lunch was actually really good! Somehow those things kind of went together in one pile of weirdness, and it tasted good, but more importantly, it filled our tummies. Lunch breaks are just so nice. It's great to get out of the office for a while, get some fresh air, and come back refreshed for the afternoon.

Enjoy your Wednesday!

3 comments:

John said...

Bwahahahhaha. National Treasure is quite possibly the worst film I've ever (partially) watched. I was busting out laughing when I read that, Bits, (ask Clampbellero for verification).

I believe that is the only film I've ever completely walked out on. Dad and Adam were watching it at Chartwell once, and after about 40 minutes of it, I just couldn't take it anymore and walked out!

Anonymous said...

What is this film? Is that the one when someone tries to steal the Constitution or some other equally significant document?

Betsy said...

Yes, the main characters steal the Declaration of Independence, and all kinds of ridiculous and completely unbelievable things then happen. It's pretty bad.