Monday, March 26, 2007

Weekend Activities

Josh and I had such a great weekend. Friday night we had dinner at home, cleaned up a little bit, and went to "Breach," which Josh reviewed for your reading pleasure. That was such a good movie- I echo all of his sentiments. Saturday we had a meeting at church for the missions trip that Josh is leading to Canada this summer, after which we went to the library to check out some good books. I don't know about you, but most of my library books don't get read. I check them out for the nice cover or interesting pictures, but rarely read them cover to cover. I think I step into a library and just get way too excited and overwhelmed at all of the possibilities. What do I want to read about today? Cooking? Decorating? Dolphin Training? Weightlifting? Clothes? Music? Nature? I was looking through the new books and picked one up written by a father who has an autistic son. It's very interesting- I definitely recommend it. I've learned a lot about autism. The dad is a great writer.

Saturday night Josh and I decided to pull out a Rachael Ray cookbook that my mom gave me as a shower or birthday gift and give the "30 Minute Meal" a try. I found some pasta that looked good and used mostly stuff that we had in the pantry. It was sooo yummy!! But I've got to say, I think her "30 Minute Meal" is a myth. No normal person who doesn't cook for a living can prepare what she does in 30 minutes. She chops through an onion in like .5 seconds, and before you practically even see her do it, it's done. What? When did that onion get chopped? Why don't mine fall into those perfect little pieces that easily? I think she's got pre-cut vegetables, or something. Maybe they all have lines traced in them that are pre-cut, so chopping truly is effortless. I mean, when I'm cutting a carrot it does take some degree of work. You can't just karate chop it and expect it to be done. Unless you've got the hugest, sharpest knife and are fearless about cutting your fingers off. So her prep time is maybe 3 minutes, where it may be 20 minutes for the same recipe for the rest of our plebians. So Rachael, if you're reading this, I think you're a farce. I like many of your recipes, but think that you're making empty promises to tired, work-worn food preparers. Don't raise false hope, Rachael. After dinner we went to Babies R Us to pick out some things for Baby Desch and had a wonderful time. We saw some cribs there that honestly cost more than our bed. What's wrong with this picture???

Yesterday was also wonderful. We went to church and Sunday School in the morning- Josh taught on Hebrews 10. We went home and made vegetable soup for lunch, which was wonderful. Then I set to work making a yellow cake with chocolate frosting for our small group meeting, which was both a fun and satisfying baking experience. We relaxed and hung out all afternoon, which was great. I've gotta say, Augusta is already heating up, folks. I swear it was like 90 degrees in the kitchen when I was baking that cake. It's exciting and a little scary all at once- I'm sooooo thankful that spring is here!! But already this hot? That doesn't bode well for the future, i.e. July, August, etc. Another strange thing about Augusta right now is that everywhere you looks is covered in a sheer yellow coating of pollen. Our car is technically red, but it's had a nasty yellow-green tint for about a week now because the pollen is so thick everywhere. We wondered about washing the car, but then decided not to since it would look exactly the same tomorrow. I went out to check the mailbox at work this morning, and my blue shoes picked up a nice greenish sheen from walking through the grass. You can almost see clouds of pollen rising with each step. I feel very sorry for people with allergies!!! But I guess that's a good sign of spring. Yippee!!

No comments: