Friday, March 16, 2007

Moving Makes For Some Interesting Cooking

We're definitely in limbo right now, with half of our stuff at our new apartment and half still at the old. This became rather funny last night when we tried to make dinner. We took some chicken out of the freezer to thaw so we could make Chicken Divan, and we had all of the other ingredients. I got home from work and we needed to get dinner done in a hurry, so we set right to work. The first obstacle I came across was that we had moved the chicken cutting board to the other apartment. Josh would tell you that I'm very obsessive about chicken cleanliness. Chicken has its own cutting board that we use and then proceed to thoroughly wash with steaming water and finish off in the dishwasher. But thankfully the only cutting board we hadn't moved was one of those glassy kinds that doesn't absorb stuff like wood or plastic, so I used it and then promptly burned the skin off of my hands washing it, only then to put it in the dishwasher. I don't know why I'm this way. I just am. So then the chicken was ready to be cooked in a skillet, but alas, we had already moved the canola oil. Hmm. I went scavenging in the fridge and found some old butter that we used to grease bread pans and put that in. Then the chicken was happily cooking. I was looking for something to push the chicken around with in the pan, and all of our spatulas were gone. Hmm. You have to use something plastic on the pan instead of metal, so we found a little plastic spoon and used that. You can see that this meal is becoming rather makeshift. Then I realized that we had no measuring cups. I have a bajillion measuring cups, and every one of them had already been moved. Well, this called for some eyeballing. I needed a cup of water and a cup and a half of rice. I found a bowl that I knew held 2 cups and filled it up half-way for the water and just dumped the rest of the box of rice in, since there wasn't that much in there anyway. It turned out! We liked it a lot. Yum.

The weather looks good for moving our furniture tomorrow, and we're so thankful. We'll be happy to just be in one place again and not having everything spread out between two different places.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: